- Do you Care? Help build a better world?
- Challenging KYC function building up new team
About Our Client
FMO's mission is to empower entrepreneurs to build a better world. Integrity is one of our four core values. As a bank, FMO plays a gatekeeper role for the integrity of the global financial system therewith also safeguarding its own reputation as a supervised Financial Institution. As was said recently in the UN Panel on International Financial Accountability, Transparency, and Integrity: 'A corrupt and failing financial system robs the poor and deprives the whole world of the resources needed to eradicate poverty, recover from COVID and tackle the climate crisis.' It is therefore of key importance that FMO knows with whom it is establishing a business relationship. FMO only wants to deal with clients of good standing and reputation. 'Knowing' a customer means acquiring and monitoring all relevant documents and information concerning the identity of the customer, gaining insight in the customer's business and its structure, and assessing related risks.
In July 2020 FMO set up a new Know Your Customer (KYC) department (50 FTEs) whereby KYC staff works closely with the investment teams to perform in-depth Customer Due Diligence for both the onboarding of new clients and the review of existing clients. Within this new set-up, KYC Analysts and Quality Reviewers (QR) are in the first line and Compliance Officers in the second line of defense.
We are now looking for a Director KYC who will, as part of FMO's senior leadership team, lead the new KYC department.
In this role you will manage, and help shape, the newly established KYC department responsible for all matters related to KYC throughout the client lifecycle, from onboarding to periodic /event driven review to exit. Reporting to the Chief Investment Officer (CIO), you will be accountable for the strategy for KYC and further building and leading a dedicated team of 3 Managers, 30+ analysts, 10 QR Officers, several administrators and a Management Information Analyst to create a high-quality KYC center of competence. You will ensure we remain compliant with prevailing rules and regulations whilst providing great levels of service to our customers. You will also work closely with the Compliance team, for example in respect of monitoring, analyzing trends and reporting on suspected instances of financial crime when applicable. Overall, you ensure that the KYC team, in close collaboration with the investment teams, is able to identify and help manage integrity risks as our first line of defense.
Responsibilities and tasks
- Part of FMO's senior leadership team jointly responsible for the execution of FMO's strategy and shaping FMO's culture.
- Responsible for FMO's KYC department, the center of competence within FMO's first line of defense, which together with the investment teams safeguards FMO's integrity.
- Leading a team of 3 managers and (indirectly) 50 employees with a strong focus on people and knowledge development
- Being a senior subject matter expert on KYC to ensure ongoing training and continuous knowledge development and sharing with the team and the wider FMO organization - in cooperation with the Compliance team.
- Oversee and ensure a consistent high-performance delivery (quality and speed) of KYC services to internal and external stakeholders through capacity planning, resourcing, training, performance monitoring, data analytics, process improvement and evaluation of client feedback to address issues and improve overall quality of services, thereby ensuring a thorough quality of KYC files.
- Evaluate and implement process improvements to ensure that we meet rigorous KYC quality standards whilst building efficiency where possible.
- Deal with escalations for complex and high-risk issues and advise on strategic management measures/solutions.
- Take an inspiring and challenging role in the senior leadership team thereby being a valued partner.
- Recruit new staff, allocate resources and anticipate attrition via active succession planning for the department/function.
- Able to manage external stakeholders and their interests, especially the Dutch Central Bank and External Auditors.
Align with internal stakeholders across FMO and work in a collaborative manner with Compliance, Risk, and the Investment teams to achieve the best outcomes for FMO.
The Successful Applicant
- Master's degree
- You are passionate about fighting financial crime with great knowledge of financial crime risks in KYC.
- 8-10 years of experience within a bank or financial services company; in which experience in a leading KYC function is required.
- In-depth knowledge of Customer Due Diligence and Financial Economic Crime / KYC Compliance is required. You must have an excellent understanding of regulatory requirements for KYC, relevant Dutch regulations such as Wwft, Wft and the Dutch sanctions law, and understand how to implement them in a risk-based approach.
- You drive results through leadership, people, communication, and influence.
- You have a proven management experience with teams from diverse backgrounds.
- You have prior experience in corporate banking in a regulated environment but at the same time have a good understanding of and affinity with FMO's markets.
- You are highly data driven, comfortable setting goals and KPIs, forecasting and planning.
- You are comfortable with change, ambiguity and managing multiple senior stakeholders with different perspectives.
- You can challenge and influence stakeholders to ensure decisions are well thought out and can be executed from an operations perspective.
The suitable candidate brings the following skills and personality:
- Self-starting, pro-active and result oriented.
- Able to make a multi-dimensional risk assessment.
- Inspirational leadership style; leads by example;
- Team spirit: able to take people along, even without hierarchy;
- Able to handle (not avoid) conflicts; problem solving skills.
- Able to act independently and give countervailing power;
- Fluent communication skills on every level of the organization;
- Structured and process-oriented; eye for detail;
- Pragmatic, but constantly challenging him/herself;
Fluent in English in speaking and writing.
What's on Offer