You are here
Manufacturing Engineer (TPM / Packaging Components) (m/f)
Leading international company with a European site based in Zurich
Challenging position with a regional scope
About Our Client
Our client is a global consumer goods company with several manufacturing plants and an extensive network of third party manufacturing partners and packaging suppliers across Europe.
In the context of a replacement due to an internal move of the current incumbent, we are looking for an experienced Manufacturing Engineer that will primarily work on implementing new products at the Third Party Manufacturing (TPM) suppliers across EMEA.
The current team of Manufacturing Engineers report into a Senior Manager and it includes Manufacturing Engineers dedicated to the internal plants and Manufacturing Engineers dedicated to TPMs. The Manufacturing Engineers dedicated to TPMs are based in Switzerland, as part of the new Regional EMEA Supply Chain Office, and are typically specialised in a certain product category and cover a sub-region within EMEA.
The implementation of new products at the TPM suppliers can be drilled-down into the following main tasks and responsibilities:
- Screen new product projects and decide which actions/timelines need to be taken to ensure right first time execution
- Project management across the entire cycle including updates on the project management systems and follow-up on the timeline to ensure the target ship date is met.
- Prerelease Bills of Materials (BoMs) to the supply chain organisation for release into SAP
- Coordinate and conduct line trials for new products at the TPM
- Coordinate and conduct transit tests on the new products. Decide on final tertiary pack out and develop tertiary packaging when required, including specifications, samples, etc.
- Update Bill of Materials (BoMs) and release to the supply chain organisation for final release and download into SAP
- Update and complete assembly instructions in the Product Definition System, which is the system that captures original product code creation, BoM builder, scrap tolerances, product versions, history etc. Once the production readiness is defined, the information is integrated into SAP.
- Monitor risks throughout the new product implementation cycle and organise when needed risk assessment meetings with TPMs and/or Packaging Components suppliers.
General tasks and responsibilities in addition to the projects for the implementation of new products would be for example:
- Visit suppliers, TPMs, fairs, etc. to be updated on the state of the art in terms of manufacturing technology, materials, methods.
- Overview TPM capabilities, capacities, technologies and future investments.
- Identify and implement Value Analysis opportunities individually or in cooperation with the TPM. Lead those VA projects and implement and update VA reporting systems to the business.
- Overlook scrap rates and decide on actions needed to improve the rates by leading scrap rate reduction projects.
- Update the internal logistics system with correct weights and dimensions and audit and train the TPMs to measure correctly and provide the correct information.
- Identify QPA (quantity per assembly) requirements per commodity, for example confirming the correct needed mass per package/assembly for every product (SKU).
The Successful Applicant
We are looking for a senior candidate with at least 5 years of experience in a similar manufacturing engineering role at an international level.
We are looking for senior professional with an educational background in Engineering or Science or equal by experience in the fields of manufacturing / filling / packaging processes.
The hired candidate will have a strong know-how in industrial processes of filling and packaging of consumer goods (food, beverages, tobacco, cosmetics, hygiene) or similar sectors (pharma, chemical, etc.).
We expect as well knowledge and experience working with packaging equipment, packaging material, filling techniques.
We are looking for somebody with a profound knowledge and qualification on continuous improvement methodologies and tools like Lean, Six Sigma or problem solving techniques. We expect as well solid skills in project management and knowledge about new product development processes.
In terms of skills we are requesting a strong competence in the following:
- Ability to analyze, diagnose and resolve complex problems with a hands-on attitude.
- Excellent communication skills, somebody who can translate complex information in an easy way.
- Team player and highly motivated to make a difference building collaborative relationships based on trust and respect. Promotion of the inclusion of diverse knowledge, skills, and experiences to achieve results.
- Strategic thinker that identifies the focus and is able to make decisions independently.
The working language of the company is English and we require an absolute business fluent English level for this role. Proficiency in additional European languages would be a plus. The job requires around 30% international travel across Europe.
Only candidates eligible to work in Switzerland would be considered for this vacancy.
What's on Offer
Excellent opportunity to be part of a highly qualified Manufacturing Engineering team with a regional scope and responsibility, that has not only a close relationship with suppliers, but as well with multiple departments within the organization including Product Development, Operations and Quality.